How do I become a registered investment advisor in Florida?

How do I become a registered investment advisor in Florida?

In order to file a registered investment adviser application with the state of Florida, one must first apply to the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) for an account (Entitlement) to their WebCRD/IARD on-line system (the web application for the registration of RIA’s and their representatives).

What is a state registered investment advisor?

State-registered Investment Advisers: Have less than $100,000,000 in assets under management. State investment adviser registrants also include investment advisers offering services that solely include financial planning or soliciting clients on behalf of other advisers.

How do you check if a company is a registered investment advisor?

An easy way to check out an investment professional is to use the free search tool available on, which will direct you to the SEC’s Investment Adviser Public Disclosure website (IAPD website). You can also visit the IAPD website directly, FINRA’s BrokerCheck program, and/or your state securities regulator.

Do you need a license to be a financial advisor in Florida?

Exam requirements for investment adviser licensure in Florida are the Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination (Series 65) by itself, or a combination of both the General Securities Representative Examination (Series 7) and the Uniform Combined State Law Examination (Series 66).

Do I need a Series 7 to be a financial advisor?

Financial advisers are required to have both a Series 6 or 7 and a Series 63 license to operate within any given state.

Who has to register as investment advisor?

While there are some exceptions, in general, investment advisors with $100 million or greater in regulatory assets under management (AUM) must register with the SEC as Registered Investment Adviser (RIA).

Who must register as an investment adviser representative?

Firms that have less than $100 million of assets under continuous and regular management (See Form ADV for calculation instructions of regulatory assets under management) generally must register with the state or states in which they have a place of business and in which they have clients, while firms that have more …