Can I help you in reported speech?
Answer Expert Verified Direct Speech – “May I help you” I said. Indirect Speech – I asked if I might help you. Indirect Speech changes the tense but the meaning of the tense remains Same.
How do you use reported speech?
We use reported speech when we want to tell someone what someone said. We usually use a reporting verb (e.g. say, tell, ask, etc.) and then change the tense of what was actually said in direct speech.
What is the difference between speech marks and quotation marks?
Quotations and speech Single or double quotation marks denote either speech or a quotation. Neither style—single or double—is an absolute rule, though double quotation marks are preferred in the United States, and both single and double quotation marks are used in the United Kingdom.
How do you turn a question into an indirect speech?
How to change Questions into Indirect Speech? :
- Change the question into a Statement.
- Change SAID / SAID TO into ASKED (enquired).
- Change Conjunction word THAT into IF or WHETHER.
- Change of Personal Pronoun, tense and Special words.
- Remove commas, quotation marks and question marks.
Does a full stop come after speech marks?
The Telegraph style guide advises simply that quotes introduced with a colon end with the full stop inside the quotation mark: “Like this.” Quotes without a colon end with the quotation mark inside the full stop, “like this”.
Do you use speech marks in speech bubbles?
Did you notice that inverted commas (speech) were used in some parts the text to provide action and to move the story along! In some books for younger children, we use speech bubbles instead of speech marks to introduce that someone is speaking.
What are the rules of reported speech?
Everyday Grammar: Mastering Reported Speech
- Rules for reporting speech.
- The first rule is to choose a reporting verb and tense.
- The second rule is to change the perspective, or point of view.
- Next, choose whether to include “that or “if.”
- The fourth rule is to “backshift” the tense.
- Reporting on questions.
- Reporting speech with modals.
- Test your knowledge.
How do you turn a question into a reported speech?
This type of question is reported by using ‘ask’ (or another verb like ‘ask’) + question word + clause. The clause contains the question, in normal word order and with the necessary tense change.
What are the rules in writing direct and indirect speech?
General rules for changing direct speech into indirect speech. Omit all inverted commas or quotation marks. End the sentence with a full stop. If the verb inside the inverted commas/quotation marks is in the present tense, change it into the corresponding past tense.
What are the two types of reported speech?
There are two main types of reported speech: direct speech and indirect speech.6 dagen geleden
Where do speech marks and full stops go?
Of course, the full stop belongs to the carrier sentence—that is, it applies to the whole sentence, not just the quotation—so it sits outside the closing quotation mark.
How do you convert direct and indirect speech?
Tip 10: Conversion of Indirect to Direct Speech
- Use the reporting verb, “say” or “said to” in its correct tense.
- Remove the conjunctions “that, to, if or whether etc” wherever necessary.
- Insert quotation marks, question mark, exclamation and full stop, as per the mood of the sentence.
- Put a comma before the statement.
How do you use speech marks in a sentence?
- Punctuation is used in direct speech to separate spoken words, or dialogue, from the rest of a story.
- “Did you hear that noise?” whispered Sam.
- Speech marks are sometimes known as inverted commas or quotation marks.
- Some writers use double speech marks and some use single speech marks.